Gordon, Lord Adam. VIEW of the GOVERNOR'S house at ST. AUGUSTINE in E. FLORIDA. 1764. Watercolor. British Library, London.
The Governor's House Cultural Center and Museum was known as Government House since the 1800s, but has been the site of several governmental buildings with many names. The building was rehabilitated through phased construction from 2011 to 2016 that restored some historic elements, protected the exterior structure, and renovated interior spaces with ADA-compliant access and modern technology. Funding support was provided from the Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida, combined with funds from UF Historic St. Augustine, Inc. and the University of Florida. In 2017, the rehabilitation project was honored with an award from the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation.